We all want to look and feel beautiful on the inside and out, but if you don't know what your skin type is and its specific needs, you'll have a hard time getting that healthy, radiant glow.
In this article, you’ll find out about the different skin types, how to know which one you have, and how to take care of it with clean, natural products from our premium Dendropanax Skincare lines.
Dendropanax morbifera (also known as Hwangchil in Korea) is an adaptogenic herb that’s been used in East Asia for its healing properties for thousands of years. Every part of the plant—leaves, stems, roots, sap—has been used in teas, tonics, incense, and lacquer for a variety of health and longevity benefits.
The Dendropanax in Change Your Energy’s skincare products is sourced from different parts of the highest-quality trees in South Korea, and combined with other plants and mild and natural ingredients so you get all of the benefits without any preservatives or harsh chemicals.
How to Know Your Skin Type
There are five main skin types:
- Oily skin is known for its shiny or greasy appearance, the result of more-than-average sebum production. This type of skin is prone to acne, blackheads and other breakouts.
- Dry skin is known for being flaky and sometimes rough. If you have dry skin, it can often feel tight, chapped and irritated.
- Combination skin is a combo of oily and dry. In most people with combination skin, it shows up as oily in the T-zone (forehead, nose and chin) and dry around the cheeks.
- Sensitive skin is, well, sensitive. It reacts adversely to things like spicy foods or chemicals in products. If you have sensitive skin, you probably already know it because you have to be careful with what you consume, and careful about trying new products.
- Normal skin is basically the absence of any of the above issues. It is neither too oily nor too dry, and has good circulation and balanced sebum production.
If you’re not sure which type you are, here are two simple tests to find out:
- Blotting Test: If you have blotting paper, you can test different parts of your face on different parts of the paper. Gently pat your face with the paper and hold it up to the light.
If the sheet picks up oil from both your T-zone and your cheeks, you have oily skin. If it only picks up oil from the T-zone, you have combination skin, or normal skin if the oil is minimal. If the sheet picks up no oil at all, you have dry skin.
- Bare-Face Test: Wash your face with a mild cleanser and gently pat dry. Do not apply any product and leave it bare. After about 30 minutes, notice if there’s any shine on your cheeks, forehead, nose and chin. Wait another 30 minutes and see if your skin looks parched anywhere or feels tight when you smile and move your face. These characteristics will tell you which type you are.
How To Take Care of Each Skin Type
All of our premium Dendropanax Skincare products are gentle and suitable for all skin types because there are no harsh chemicals and everything is plant-based.
Below, I’ll recommend some tips for each skin type and specific products that may be especially good for each one.
1. Oily Skin
Exfoliating too much or using harsh chemicals to try to reduce your skin’s oiliness can actually be counterproductive. Your skin needs to retain a level of necessary oils and moisture so that it isn’t triggered to produce more.
- • Wash your face twice a day to remove dirt and residue, but don’t overdo it.
- • Avoid heavy makeup products that clog your pores.
- • Stay hydrated by drinking enough water and moisturizing regularly with a lightweight moisturizer.
The EXODROP Dendrexo Facial Foaming Cleanser will remove residue but is gentle enough to use twice a day. It contains Dendropanax leaf exosomes—active compounds that penetrate deep into your cells to deliver the plant’s potent health properties. Follow it with EXODROP Dendrexo Brightening Toner, which balances the pH of your skin while removing dead skin without making it oily.
2. Dry Skin
Dry skin is especially vulnerable in dry climates and in the winter. But regardless of the season or where you live, those with dry skin need to focus on moisture, moisture, moisture. Mild and natural products are the best way to retain your skin’s moisture.
- • Avoid deodorant soaps or any other products that dry out your skin.
- • Take shorter showers, no more than twice a day; a lot of time in the shower strips away essential oils.
- • Moisturize your skin right after bathing, every time.
- • Stay hydrated by drinking enough water and using sunscreen to prevent dehydration when you’re outside.
- • Consider using a humidifier.
The EXODROP Dendroil Body Care Solutions Hand & Body Lotion contains stem sap oil extracted from the Dendropanax tree. You can use it all over, as often as you need, to help keep your skin moisturized and supple. This lotion feeds your skin antioxidants and all those other health-promoting compounds . . . and it smells nice! For your face, use the more specialized EXODROP Dendrexo Brightening Cream. It feels light and non-greasy on your face's delicate skin, but the moisture it delivers penetrates deeply and lasts all day.
3. Combination Skin
Since some of the tips for oily skin and dry skin are the same, you can apply those all over your face and body. But in some instances, you’ll need to treat your oily skin areas and dry skin areas differently.
- • Use a thicker moisturizer on your dry areas and a lightweight one for your oily T-zone.
- • Wash your entire face once a day with a gentle cleanser, but do a second daily cleanse just on the T-zone.
- • Use an oil-free sunscreen that won’t clog your pores, such as our Dendrexo SPF 50+ Sunscreen Lotion.
Try Dendrexo Brightening Serum to further moisturize, brighten, and balance your different zones. With nanoparticle technology, this highly-concentrated serum can improve your skin’s brightness and glow from the inside out, without irritation.
4. Sensitive Skin
If you have sensitive skin, you’re most likely to react to chemicals and other harsh substances in products. Sensitive skin is fragile and can easily lose its protective barrier, allowing irritants to enter and causing reactions. More than any other type, it’s essential to stick with natural and mild products.
- • Do a patch test before using any new product, even if it’s labeled “hypoallergenic.” Put a bit on your hand and wait 24 hours to see how you respond before using it on your face or body.
- • Choose mild products formulated with natural, soothing ingredients such as Dendropanax.
- • Avoid long, hot showers that strip away protective oils from your skin.
The Dendrexo All-in-One Cleansing Soap Bar contains no added fragrance; no added colors; no harmful chemicals; no parabens, phthalates,or sulfates; no silicone, alcohol, PEG, dimethicone, or phenoxyethanol; and no triclosan or mineral oil. It’s safe and soothing for the face and body, and helps form a moisturizing layer to protect your skin.
5. Normal Skin
With normal skin, you’re lucky not to have the issues of the other skin types. You don’t need to spend a ton of effort to maintain your skin, but you do still need a basic healthy skincare routine.
- • Stay hydrated to avoid drying out or triggering excess sebum production.
- • Moisturize daily.
- • Cleanse your face every evening before sleeping to remove dirt and bacteria.
If you want to add even more benefits to your routine, try EXODROP Premium Face & Body Relaxing Oil. It contains Dendropanax stem sap oil combined with essential oils to make a soothing, relaxing blend for your skin.
To learn more and see all of our premium Korean Dendropanax Skincare products, go here.